Sunday, November 23, 2008

Poetry and the Self

I am growingly attracted to autobiographical poetry.  Poems like Nazim Hikmet's "Autobiography" and Adam Zagajewski's "Self-Portrait" are so richly personalized, the specificity of their accounts conveys a creative ownership over experience that inspires me greatly.  I have reached an impasse in my own writing: I am eager to create poetry, yet can't get past a few lines that I self-edit incessantly.  My insecurity stems from questions of entitlement and experience.  I have always been told to write what I know, but find I know a few verses (occasionally a stanza) for a poem about any experience or observation and am unable to reach closure with any attempt.

This creative muzzle is entirely self-imposed, and I know it is entirely up to me to remove.  My desire to create something meaningful is paralyzed by my own feelings of inadequate content, but reading poems like the two mentioned above encourage me that the sum of experiences that are wholly and fully mine can yield poems that are extremely instructive for broader audiences. 

While my creative standstill leaves me in no place to instruct the creative process of others, I find "Autobiography" and "Self-Portrait" extremely encouraging that we ALL have the content and material to create, share, and recreate our own experiences in forms that are not purely self-indulgent.  

Autobiography
by Nazim Hikmet

I was born in 1902
I never once went back to my birthplace
I don't like to turn back
at three I served as a pasha's grandson in Aleppo
at nineteen as a student at Moscow Communist University
at forty-nine I was back in Moscow as a guest of the Tcheka
       Party
and I've been a poet since I was fourteen
some people know all about plants some about fish
        I know separation
some people know the names of the stars by heart
I recite absences
I've slept in prisons and in grand hotels
I've known hunger even a hunger strike and there's almost no
food I haven't tasted
at thirty they wanted to hang me
at forty-eight to give me the Peace Medal
which they did
at thirty-six I covered four square meters of concrete in
half a year
at fifty-nine I flew from Prague to Havana in eighteen hours
I never saw Lenin I stood watch at his coffin in '24
in '61 the tomb that I visit in his books
they tried to tear me away from my party
it didn't work
nor was I crushed under falling idols
in '51 I sailed with a young friend into the teeth of death
in '52 I spent four months flat on my back with a broken 
heart waiting for death
I was jealous of the women I loved
I didn't envy Charlie Chaplin one bit
I deceived my women
I never talked behind my friends' backs
I drank but not every day
I earned my bread money honestly what happiness
out of embarrassment for another I lied
I lied so as not to hurt someone else
but I also lied for no reason at all
I've ridden in trains planes and cars
most people don't get the chance
I went to the opera
most people can't go they haven't even heard of
the opera
and since '21 I haven't been tot he places that most people
visit
mosques churches temples synagogues sorcerers
but I've had my coffee ground read
my writings are published in thirty forty languages
in my Turkey in my Turkish they're banned
cancer hasn't caught up with me yet
and nothings ays that it has to
I'll never e a prime minister or anything like that
and I'm not interested in such a life
nor did I go to war
or burrow in bomb shelters in the bottom of the night
and I never had to take to the roads under driving planes
but I fell in love at close to sixty
in short comrades
even if today in Berlin I'm croaking of grief
I can say that I've lived like a human being
and who knows
how much longer I'll live
what else will happen to me.

This autobiography was written in East Berlin 
on September 11th in the year 1961.


Self-Portrait
by Adam Zagajewski

Between the computer, a pencil, and a typewriter
half my day passes. One day it will be half a century.
I live in strange cities and sometimes talk
with strangers about matters strange to me.
I listen to music a lot: Bach, Mahler, Chopin, Shostakovich.
I see three elements in music: weakness, power, and pain.
The fourth has no name.
I read poets, living and dead, who teach me
tenacity, faith, and pride. I try to understand
the great philosophers--but usually catch just
scraps of their precious thoughts.
I like to take long walks on Paris streets
and watch my fellow creatures, quickened by envy,
anger, desire; to trace a silver coin
passing from hand to hand as it slowly
loses its round shape (the emperor's profile is erased).
Beside me trees expressing nothing
but a green, indifferent perfection.
Black birds pace the fields,
waiting patiently like Spanish widows.
I'm no longer young, but someone else is always older.
I like deep sleep, when I cease to exist,
and fast bike rides on country roads when poplars and houses
dissolve like cumuli on sunny days.
Sometimes in museums the paintings speak to me
and irony suddenly vanishes.
I love gazing at my wife's face.
Every Sunday I call my father.
Every other week I meet with friends,
thus proving my fidelity.
My country freed itself from one evil. I wish
another liberation would follow.
Could I help in this? I don't know.
I'm truly not a child of the ocean,
as Antonio Machado wrote about himself,
but a child of air, mint and cello
and not all the ways of the high world
cross paths with the life that--so far--
belongs to me.


“Self-Portrait” from Mysticism for Beginners by Adam Zagajewski, translated from Polish by Claire Cavanaugh. Translation copyright © 1997 by Farrar, Straus & Giroux, LLC. www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15866

No comments: