Monday, November 24, 2008

Homeward Bound!



After a long four months of school, tomorrow afternoon I am headed home and could not be happier. For your listening enjoyment I recommend Simon and Garfunkel's "Homeward Bound", and for your poetry enjoyment I share Es'kia Mphahlele's "Homeward Bound".

Mphahlele was born in South Africa in 1919 and applied for a permit to leave his country permanently in the mid 1950s before entering into exile in 1957. He lived all over the world before deciding to return to South Africa in 1978.

While its perhaps insensitive to compare my own excitement about going home for Thanksgiving with the much more complicated emotions of a patriot in exile returning to his homeland, I think both create an opportunity to interrogate our own relationships with "home" and the relationship we perceive others to hold with their own homes.

Also, as the holidays approach I invite you to keep all those who for whatever reason cannot return home: remember refuges, soldiers, alienated families.  I hope everyone finds peace in a feeling of "home" that brings the same comfort and happiness as would a physical presence.  

I read Mphahlele's poem as a profound gesture of acceptance; he distinguishes between expectations and reality and accepts the imperfections of his homeland.  His emphasis on topography (mountains) seems to reveal a preoccupation with the surface compared to what lies below and behind the surface (e.g., the sky as a permanent yet changing background for the mountainscapes and the emphasis on imagery of light).  The speaker seems to have reached a peace with his "home" by the poem's resolution, "you need not look just the way I want".

Homeward Bound
by Es'kia Mphahlele

The mountains that I like
and do not fear
don't stoop over me
like giant apes marooned
on a patch of Time;

they are the forms beyond,
holding down
the edge of blue
and etching with a light
of ever-changing tints;

--they can look the way I want them.

I do not like the lights
that come at me
and stab and flail
and blind the eyes of night
that bounce and cling on tarmac;

those shimmering faraway bodies
softly throbbing
tell me and love
that coffee's on the boil,
she's listening to my footsteps;

--they can look the way I want them.

But you beside me here--
the contours of
your mountainscape
lead me to sniff at the corners
of your passion and sprawl
in the light and shade of your valleys
reminding me clearly
distant sights
can easily become
explosions of a mood;

so let us ride along 
through dewy midnights
dewy dawns
and tumble gently into
disemboweled noontides;

--you need not look just the way I want.

Mphahlele, Es'kia. "Homeward Bound." Against Forgetting : Twentieth-Century Poetry of Witness. Ed. Carolyn Forche. Boston: W. W. Norton & Company, Incorporated, 1993. 718-19.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Just an interesting, related fact. I was reminded today that Socrates was sentenced with either exile or death and he chose death because he would not be able to be himself away from home.

This just evidences how deeply the self is linked to the home.